Monday, June 29, 2020
THE LATEST FROM CFZ CANADA
FORTEAN BIRD NEWS FROM THE WATCHER OF THE SKIES
Well, everything, actually!
- Mysterious Australian Night Parrots may not see in...
- Spectacular bird's-eye view? Hummingbirds see dive...
- In a quiet world, research on noise and nesting bl...
- Be still, my beating wings: hunters kill migrating...
- More pāteke released in Abel Tasman, rare duck pop...
- Rare white pīwakawaka attracts photographers and b...
BIG CAT ROUND UP
There are so many of them now that we feel that they should be archived by us in some way, so we are publishing a regular round-up of the stories as they come in.
- INDIA: Second lion attack in three years
- LIONS BRED FOR TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
- USA, California: did the San Francisco puma kill zoo kangaroo?
- USA, CA: Mountain lion set for release
- CANADA, VANCOUVER: Cougar spotted
THE GONZO BLOG DOO-DAH MAN DOES STUFF, BUT HE'S NOT TELLING YOU WHAT
The Gonzo Daily - Monday/Tuesday
And for no real reason Sunday's notifications are done in rhyme
And so, another week begins. And so far it seems that it is going to be exactly the same as last week; dealing with doctors, arguing with the NHS, and trying to explain to people why the photograph which circulated last week and was described as a mysterious large fish in Loch Ness, is 99% certain to have been made with Photoshop.
As far as music is concerned I would suggest you all check out the long overdue release of Neil Young’s ‘Homegrown’.
As one would have hoped it contains some deliciously melancholy songs as good as anything else have a road, but it also contains a few bits of raucous rock and roll pressure quite fun, and two strange spoken word pieces, one of which is about rescuing a baby after the baby ‘s parents were killed in a freak hang glider accident. Entertaining as these peculiar pieces are, it is hard to see why even Neil Young thought that they would add to the successfulness of the album as a cohesive whole.
But Neil Young is as mad as a bag full of cheese and is nigh on impossible to second-guess, and that - I guess - is one of the reasons we all like him.
I never really knew what it meant, but keep on trucking!
Like so much else in our uncertain world, you might have thought that the new Gonzo Web Radio website was never going to arrive. Well, there were times that I felt the same way. However, I’m happy to say that a beta version of it is now available for your perusal. It is even optimised to work on both computers and phones. Check it out at the address above, and let me know what you think in the comments.
The eagle-eyed amongst you will probably have noticed that the Gonzo Multimedia websites have changed and are in a process of flux, so there are no individual sales links at the moment. But check out www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk for a thing of wonder. The Gonzo Books site is now pretty well done, although there are still nine authors who need personal pages. You can find it ay www.gonzopublishers.com and there is also a new CFZ Publcations website at https://baboon.wixsite.com/website then tell me what a clever fellow I am. It even has a haiku to explain why some links are not finished:
"These links do not work,
now but they will do so soon,
YER EDITOR SEZ: THE DIGITAL PRAYER FLAG
You guys have been doing massive amounts of praying for Corinna. I believe that the outpouring of good vibes transmitted electronically, being a little like a Tibetan prayer flag. Find out more:
ALL TODAY'S GONZO NEWS WOT'S FIT TO SQUINT
CHRIS SQUIRE: The making of Chris Squire's Fish...
RICK WAKEMAN: Hopes that coronavirus will see the ...
JON ANDERSON: More on his new single
GONZO TRACK OF THE DAY: I Call Your Name (Remaste...
THOM THE WORLD POET: The Daily Poem
AND OTHER STUFF FEATURING VARIOUS GONZO CONTRIBUTORS:
Our webTV show:
And if you fancy supporting it on Patreon:
And by the way chaps and chappesses, a trip to the Jon Downes megastore may seem to be in order:
Meanwhile I continue to pretend that I am a popstar, because now I have sold eleven whole copies of my new album Coldharbour. If I continue at this rate I will get a silver disc sometime at the beginning of the next millenium. Coldharbour, by the way, can be found here: https://jondownes1.bandcamp.com/releases
I think it is really rather good, but then again I would say that wouldn't I?
AND THE LATEST ISSUE OF THE GONZO MAGAZINE:
Gonzo Weekly #395/6
THE STELLAR ISSUE
In yet another singularly non-standard issue for singularly non-standard times Richard Stellar tells the story of how Diane Warren,Sharon Farber and Gev Miron collaborated on 'I'm Standing with You' - A Musical Collaboration in support of the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund. Jon gets confused with the semantics of of recent protests, Alan reviews some recent music, Jon reviews a book by a 60s icon, Alan collates covid-19 stories from around the world. Graham reveals the latest from the world of Hawkwind, and we see some massively groovy things from Martin Springett of The Gardening Club. And is there more? You can bet your arse there is...
And there are radio shows from Mack Maloney and Friday Night Progressive, AND Merrell Fankhauser, but no sign of Strange Fruit this week, there is a column from Kev Rowland, and one from C J Stone, but Mr Biffo, Neil Nixon and Roy Weard, are on hiatus. There is also a collection of more news, reviews, views, interviews and di8bblers who have got the blues (OK, nothing to do with tiny marsupials who are listening to the new Bob Dylan album, but I got carried away with things that rhymed with OOOOS) than you can shake a stick at. And the best part is IT's ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!
This issue features:
Covid-19 pandemic, Black Lives Matter, George Floyd, Trevor Rabin, Alan Dearling, Covid Connections Part 4, Pamir Yilmaz, John Perry, Friday Night Progressive, The Merrell Fankhauser Show - Rockin and Surfin and Merrell interview, Mack Maloney's Mystery Hour, Ricky Valance (born David Spencer), Katsuhisa Hattori, Paul William Chapman, Pau Dones Cirera, James "Slim" Hand, Patricia Eva "Bonnie" Pointer, Daniel John Stolper, Frank Bay (born Frank Bass), Allan Evans, Rupert Hine, Marcello Abbado, Fabiana Anastacio Nascimento, Dulce Pinto Bressane, Stephen Norman Priest, Rosemarie Wright, Werner Bohm (Gottlieb Wendehals, Nana Tuffour (James Kwaku Tuffour), Nguea Laroute, Keith Tippett, (Keith Graham Tippetts), Yohan (nee Kim Jeng-hwan), Dame Vera Margaret Lynn CH, DBE, OStJ, (nee Welch), Rick Wakeman, The Fall, The Mitchell Trio, Barrie Guard & David Cunningham, Dave Bainbridge, Eliza Carthy, Michael Bruce, Angels of Mercy, Ed O`Brien, Lacertilia, Roger & Brian Eno, Tony Klinger, Chris Chappel, Kev Rowland, Marin Springett, Kenny Mitchell, La Chinga, Lords of the Trident, Decline of the I, C J Stone, Hawkwind, Martin Springett, Jenny Boyd,
..And the last few issues are:
Issue 395-6 (Diane Warren/Sharon Farber)
Issue 393-4 (Daria Kulesh)
Issue 391-2 (Little Richard)
Issue 389-90 (Ian Anderson)
Issue 387-8 (A Guy called Gerald)
Issue 385-6 (Tony Henderson)
Issue 383-4 (London Remixed)
">Issue 381-2 (Greta)
Issue 379-80 (Andrew Weatherall)
Issue 377-8 (The Future)
Issue 375-6 (Big Sean)
Issue 373-4 (End of the World)
Issue 371-2 (New Year)
Issue 369-70 (Christmas)
Issue 367-8 (Register to Vote)
Issue 365-6 (Rick Wakeman)
Issue 363-4 (Focus)
Issue 361-2 (Martin Springett)
Issue 359-60 (Robert Hunter)
All issues from #70 can be downloaded at www.gonzoweekly.com if you prefer. If you have problems downloading, just email me and I will add you to the Gonzo Weekly dropbox. The first 69 issues are archived there as well. Information is power chaps, we have to share it!
You can download the magazine in pdf form HERE:
SPECIAL NOTICE: If you, too, want to unleash the power of your inner rock journalist, and want to join a rapidly growing band of likewise minded weirdos please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org The more the merrier really.
* The Gonzo Daily is a two way process. If you have any news or want to write for us, please contact me at email@example.com. If you are an artist and want to showcase your work, or even just say hello please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy, paste and spread the word about this magazine as widely as possible. We need people to read us in order to grow, and as soon as it is viable we shall be invading more traditional magaziney areas. Join in the fun, spread the word, and maybe if we all chant loud enough we CAN stop it raining. See you tomorrow...
* The Gonzo Daily is - as the name implies - a daily online magazine (mostly) about artists connected to the Gonzo Multimedia group of companies. But it also has other stuff as and when the editor feels like it. The same team also do a weekly newsletter called - imaginatively - The Gonzo Weekly. Find out about it at this link: www.gonzo-multimedia.blogspot.co.uk
* We should probably mention here, that some of our posts are links to things we have found on the internet that we think are of interest. We are not responsible for spelling or factual errors in other people's websites. Honest guv!
* Jon Downes, the Editor of all these ventures (and several others) is an old hippy of 60 who - together with a Jack Russell called Archie, an infantile orange cat named after a song by Frank Zappa, three other cats, one totally coincidentally named after one of the Manson Family, purely because she squeaks, puts it all together from a converted potato shed in a tumbledown cottage deep in rural Devon which he shares with various fish. He is ably assisted by his lovely wife Corinna and a motley collection of social malcontents. Plus.. did we mention Archie and the Cats?
NEWS FROM NOWHERE: Monday
ON THIS DAY IN - 1236 - Ferdinand III of Castile and Leon took Cordoba in Spain.
And now some more recent news from the CFZ Newsdesk
AND TO WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK... (Music that may have some relevance to items also on this page, or may just reflect my mood on the day)