Day 3 – Monday
Today was spent conducting animal related tasks. Most of the
tanks needed their water topping up and their glass cleaning. The tank in the
sitting room and the one on the landing, with the axolotls, needed cleaning
much more thoroughly than the others. A litre bottle’s worth of blanket weed
was removed from the axolotls, who seemed much happier for it.
After about five years of trying to breed the Xenotoca eiseni to no avail, Jon
recently found out that they may breed better, and more readily, during the
rainy season and wanted to recreate this for them. To this end, I carried out a
50% water change and removed around 80% of the blanket weed – which was about
2lts worth. I also gave their glass a good clean.
After this, I learned how to conduct water tests, interpret
their results and take appropriate actions based upon them. Then, I took some
time out to make a ham sammy (sandwich) and fiddle with my phone.
We also watched the third and final part of the documentary
series we had been watching. It carried out the same tests had already been
done by a documentary show a few years ago and yielded few fresh results. Then,
after a final cup of tea, it was bedtime.