Sunday, July 08, 2012
On with the show:
I have to admit that I had not heard of these guys before I received a brief and to the point email from the Gonzo grande fromage with this newsletter attached. But after posting this exciting news I checked them out, and they are a bloody good band...
Today we have a real exclusive for you - a rehearsal btape from last week's benefit concert featuring Michael Des Barres. The tape features 'You're my Pain Killer'augmented by female backing cocals and a bitching horn section. It doesn't get much better than this.
Here, culture lovers, is a link to a good review of the new album by Martin Stephenson, who is one of music's all round nice guys. I think his new album 'California Star' is a cracker. So, obviously, does this reviewer so I strongly suggest you go out and buy a copy. You know it makes sense!
A forthcoming concert by two of the foremost rock music instrumentalists of the past half century - Rick Wakeman and Stewart Copeland come together at the Royal Academy of Music. Golly.
Jon Anderson, one of the most distinctive and important singers of the past four decades has just finished a US Tour and by all accounts it was a triumph. Here we have a link to a review of the last show of the tour..
You may or may not have noticed, but Liz from Auburn and I have been conversing through the medium of rhyme over the last few weeks. It keeps us amused, and gives me a welcome excuse to publicise her fantastic album 'Indian Summer'...
And that is it for today. I will be back - God willing - tomorrow.
Yesterday’s News Today
On this day in 1922 the actor Richard Wilson was born. Wilson is best known as Victor Meldrew in One Foot in the Grave but has also stared as Gaius in Merlin and Dr Constantine in the two part Doctor Who story The Empty Child.
And now the news:
- Sent to the wild: 300 frogs saved in Karwar, India...
- One-tonne King Pig laid to rest during funeral ser...
- Why More Parasite Diversity is Good News for Frogs...
- New ‘pingers’ could help save Cornwall’s dolphins
- ‘Skull’ in Burnley river drama was elaborate hoax
- Cornwall’s chough came from Ireland
- Naches Ranger District worker has heard it all, in...
- 7th wolf pack confirmed in Washington State
- Bees Can 'Turn Back Time,' Reverse Brain Aging
- Australia to bait and trap cane toads – via Herp D...
- Indian village performs wedding ceremony between t...
A classic scene from Richard Wilson's Doctor Who turn: