HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
CFZ PEOPLE: Rosie Curtis
Posted by Jon Downes at 1:23 PM No comments:
FORTEAN BIRD NEWS FROM THE WATCHER OF THE SKIES
What has Corinna's column of Fortean bird news got to do with cryptozoology?
Well, everything, actually!
In an article for the first edition of Cryptozoology Bernard Heuvelmans wrote that cryptozoology is the study of 'unexpected animals' and following on from that perfectly reasonable assertion, it seems to us that whereas the study of out-of-place birds may not have the glamour of the hunt for bigfoot or lake monsters, it is still a perfectly valid area for the Fortean zoologist to be interested in.
- In Search of the Elusive Pink-Headed Duck
- Donegal people asked to report sightings of rare b...
- Rare Shrike found in Anglesey and Cattle Egrets ne...
- Rare rose-coloured starling spotted in Ipswich bac...
- UK first as rare black-winged stilts choose Welney...
- Eagle-eyed North-east lifeboat crew swoops in to s...
- So just who is the Sandringham bird murderer? Spat...
- Mystery shrouds death of 37 birds near Gondia
- Migratory birds arriving late to breeding grounds
- 99 Million-Year-Old Baby Bird Trapped in Amber Dis...
Posted by Jon Downes at 11:40 AM No comments:
BIGFOOT NEWS IN BRIEF
Is this BIGFOOT? 'Dangerous giant ape' snapped lurking in US woodland
Betteridge's Law. No. June 13, 2017. Is this BIGFOOT? 'Dangerous giant ape' snapped lurking in US woodland.
Evidence that Bigfoot is real
In 1979, Jada and her husband wanted to leave the city and live on a farm in the Appalachian Mountains where they can raise their two children, grow ...
Posted by Jon Downes at 5:30 AM No comments:
THE GONZO BLOG DOO-DAH MAN HAS CRAVINGS FOR WATERMELON. AND NO THAT IS NOT A EUPHEMISM.
The Gonzo Daily: Wednesday
We are finally jumping with both feet into the 21st Century. Tomorrow a flat screen smart TV thingy is being delivered. This means that my Hi Fi, the old telly and a family of Japanese fire bellied newts have had to be rearranged, and the house is more like a middle European transit camp than ever. Jarvis Cocker has recently collaborated with Chilly Gonzales for an extraordinary album, which - I am afraid - knocks both of Cocker's solo albums to date (especially the second one) into a cocked hat. To my ears this is the best record he has made since 'This is Hardcore' in 1998, and possibly before. This is a truly astounding record and proves that Cocker (despite a lot of suggestions to the contrary) is still a lyricist and performer par excellence. Well done that man.
And now, here is the news:
THE GONZO TRACK OF THE DAY: Melting Euphoria - Ley...
RICK SPRINGFIELD IN THE NEWS
GONZO PEOPLE: Thom Woodruff
THOM THE WORLD POET: The Daily Poem
Gonzo Magazine #238
THE WHITE PUNKS ON HOPE ISSUE
We talk to Krautrock legend Lutz Graf-Ulbrich about his work with Nico and Agitation Free, Jon goes off on a weird trip with the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, Alan critiques Forest Swords, Roy Weard and all sorts of democracy-related japes..
And listen up Kiddies: It’s all free!
And there are radio shows from Mack Maloney, Strange Fruit, and Friday Night Progressive. We also have columns from all sorts of folk including Roy Weard, Mr Biffo, Neil Nixon and the irrepressible Corinna. There is also a collection of more news, reviews, views, interviews and pademelons outside zoos (OK, nothing to do with small marsupials who have escaped from captivity, but I got carried away with things that rhymed with OOOOS) than you can shake a stick at. And the best part is IT's ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!
This issue features:
VE, The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, KLF, Bill Drummond, Jimmy Cauty, Tir Na Nog, Prince, Elton John, Marillion, David Bowie, Phil Collins, Noel Gallagher, Pete Townshend, Gogol Bordello, Roger Waters, Strange Fruit, Friday Night Progressive, Mack Maloney's Mystery Hour, Aamir Zaki, Peter Sallis, OBE, Educated Rapper (Jeffrey Campbell), Andrew "Andy" Cunningham, Barbara Alexandra "Sandra" Reemer, Vincent Paul Garbutt, Ya Kwanza, Mary Hopkin, Steve Howe, Ashton, Gardner and Dyke, Lütz Ulbrich, Alan Dearling, Forest Swords (Matthew Barnes), Bjork, Jeremy Smith, Brinsley Schwarz, Real Music Club, Roy Weard, Sendelica, Kev Rowland, Silver Hunter, Spoil Engine, Starsick System, That Rock Guy, Thoughts of Ionesco, Thus Defiled, Tony Klinger, Hawkwind, Gerald Durrell, Gorillaz, Albert Collins, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Jermaine Jackson, Joy Division, New Order, Oasis, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Deep Purple
Read the previous few issues of Gonzo Weekly:
Issue 237 (Hawkwind)
Issue 236 (Manchester)
Issue 235 (Jon Anderson)
Issue 234 (Al Atkins)
Issue 233 (Richard Strange)
Issue 232 (Roy Weard)
Issue 231 (Allan Holdsworth)
Issue 230 (Curtis Womack)
Issue 229 (Larry Wallis)
Issue 228 (Space Pharoahs)
Issue 227 (Chuck Berry)
Issue 225-6 (The Rites of Spring)
Issue 224 (Hibernal)
Issue 223 (Beatles)
Issue 222 (Cruise to the Edge)
Issue 221 (Deke Leonard)
Issue 220 (Larry Wallis)
Issue 219 (Martin Stone)
Issue 218 (Mark Reiser tribute)
All issues from #70 can be downloaded at www.gonzoweekly.com if you prefer. If you have problems downloading, just email me and I will add you to the Gonzo Weekly dropbox. The first 69 issues are archived there as well. Information is power chaps, we have to share it!
You can download the magazine in pdf form HERE:
SPECIAL NOTICE: If you, too, want to unleash the power of your inner rock journalist, and want to join a rapidly growing band of likewise minded weirdos please email me at email@example.com The more the merrier really.
* The Gonzo Daily is a two way process. If you have any news or want to write for us, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an artist and want to showcase your work, or even just say hello please write to me at email@example.com. Please copy, paste and spread the word about this magazine as widely as possible. We need people to read us in order to grow, and as soon as it is viable we shall be invading more traditional magaziney areas. Join in the fun, spread the word, and maybe if we all chant loud enough we CAN stop it raining. See you tomorrow...
* The Gonzo Daily is - as the name implies - a daily online magazine (mostly) about artists connected to the Gonzo Multimedia group of companies. But it also has other stuff as and when the editor feels like it. The same team also do a weekly newsletter called - imaginatively - The Gonzo Weekly. Find out about it at this link: www.gonzo-multimedia.blogspot.co.uk
* We should probably mention here, that some of our posts are links to things we have found on the internet that we think are of interest. We are not responsible for spelling or factual errors in other people's websites. Honest guv!
* Jon Downes, the Editor of all these ventures (and several others) is an old hippy of 57 who - together with a Jack Russell called Archie, an infantile orange cat named after a song by Frank Zappa, and two half grown kittens, one totally coincidentally named after one of the Manson Family, purely because she squeaks, puts it all together from a converted potato shed in a tumbledown cottage deep in rural Devon which he shares with various fish. He is ably assisted by his lovely wife Corinna, his bulldog/boxer Prudence, his elderly mother-in-law, and a motley collection of social malcontents. Plus.. did we mention Archie and the Cats?
Posted by Jon Downes at 5:00 AM No comments:
NEWS FROM NOWHERE - Wednesday
ON THIS DAY IN - 1381 Richard II in England meets leaders of Peasants' Revolt on Blackheath. The Tower of London is stormed by rebels who enter without resistance
And now some more recent news from the CFZ Newsdesk
Groups Want End to Unlimited Capture of Four Nativ...
Exposure to coal combustion residues lead to highe...
Import Restriction on Salamanders in Canada - via ...
Turtle disaster avoided with roadkill rescue
Sea stars filmed hunting squid and squabbling over...
And now some more recent news from the CFZ Newsdesk
AND TO WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK... (Music that may have some relevance to items also on this page, or may just reflect my mood on the day.)
Posted by Jon Downes at 12:30 AM No comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)