Yesterday, after months of deliberations – we have the final, official word from the government that they will do what more than half a million of us asked them to – and protect our nation’s forests for good.
Congratulations! We’ve really, truly, won. It was a political defeat, and victory for people power they never saw coming.
In late 2010, the government announced a plan to introduce a new law to allow all publicly owned woodlands to be sold off in the future.
The government might have expected a few predictable protests, but there was nothing predictable about what happened next.
- 538,107 people signed the 38 Degrees petition
- More than 100,000 of us contacted our MPs
- We funded an independent poll, which found 84% of the public wanted our forests in public hands
- Thousands raised nearly £60,000 to pay for ads in national newspapers
- More than 30 local campaigning groups sprung into action around the country
- Over 220,000 of us helped spread the word on social media
Again, 38 Degrees members sprang into action: