WELCOME TO THE CFZ BLOG NETWORK: COME AND JOIN THE FUN

Half a century ago, Belgian Zoologist Bernard Heuvelmans first codified cryptozoology in his book On the Track of Unknown Animals.

The Centre for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) are still on the track, and have been since 1992. But as if chasing unknown animals wasn't enough, we are involved in education, conservation, and good old-fashioned natural history! We already have three journals, the largest cryptozoological publishing house in the world, CFZtv, and the largest cryptozoological conference in the English-speaking world, but in January 2009 someone suggested that we started a daily online magazine! The CFZ bloggo is a collaborative effort by a coalition of members, friends, and supporters of the CFZ, and covers all the subjects with which we deal, with a smattering of music, high strangeness and surreal humour to make up the mix.

It is edited by CFZ Director Jon Downes, and subbed by the lovely Lizzy Bitakara'mire (formerly Clancy), scourge of improper syntax. The daily newsblog is edited by Corinna Downes, head administratrix of the CFZ, and the indexing is done by Lee Canty and Kathy Imbriani. There is regular news from the CFZ Mystery Cat study group, and regular fortean bird news from 'The Watcher of the Skies'. Regular bloggers include Dr Karl Shuker, Dale Drinnon, Richard Muirhead and Richard Freeman.The CFZ bloggo is updated daily, and there's nothing quite like it anywhere else. Come and join us...

Search This Blog

WATCH OUR WEEKLY WEBtv SHOW

SUPPORT OTT ON PATREON

SUPPORT OTT ON PATREON
Click on this logo to find out more about helping CFZtv and getting some smashing rewards...

SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER



Unlike some of our competitors we are not going to try and blackmail you into donating by saying that we won't continue if you don't. That would just be vulgar, but our lives, and those of the animals which we look after, would be a damn sight easier if we receive more donations to our fighting fund. Donate via Paypal today...




Sunday, February 19, 2012

MUIRHEAD`S MYSTERIES: A SOLILOQUOY ABOUT A HONG KONG 1954 TIGER

A few days ago I found the following soliloquy on a New Territories, Hong Kong, tiger of October 1954. Unfortunately I didn`t take a note of the Web site. I think it was a Chinese literary web site from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Translated well into English this time ! The original soliloquy was dated October 29th 1954 from a Taiwan publication the Chinese Student Weekly. It gives a rather interesting insight into a Chinese person`s (presumably)view of the tiger in Hong Kong about 60 years ago.

A SOLILOQUY
Enters the N.T. Tiger, roaming meditatively

Tiger, Tiger,hides and seeks
Amidst N.T. forests and peaks,
What presumptuous mortal or fool
Dare shake thy fearful majesty?


To stay,or to leave:that is the question:
Whether it`s worthwhile to continue abstaining
Ever since the time I`ve come here
And to suffer against my better will
The noises and filthy air of an over-crowded city,
Or better to cease humoring these ignorant,presumptous mortals,
And by frightening them with my omnipotence
Thus leave them in perpetual frustration?
To study mankind, to seek for a paradise-these were my motives
That drove me to rove around this world of wonder.
And realising that I`m poles apart from Man
Whether in physique,temperament,habit or wisdom.
I have struggled hard to entame myself
So as to cope with Man,and to study his culture.
Alas! What disappointment and shock to discover
That Man is nothing but a wicked,selfish, ambitious animal.
A barrel of vanity.
Look how these H.K. people `re hunting me
While I remain as tame as a suckling dove.
I tried to offer them peace and friendship, what they`ve returned
Was enmity,disturbance and distrust.
Ha! They`re breeders of rumours, myopes!
They said I was a wildcat, a leopard, a racoon ………………..(1)
Not seeing the mark on my forehead that signifies
The dignity and fierceness of my majesty.

Know you,Man: I am King of the forest;
The Chief of my tribe,and
The Head of my family, who could have destroyed you
As an ant in an instant. Your attitude
Sickens my heart, frustrates my plan and upsets me
With vacillation between staying here or leaving,
Continuing with my project,or giving up.
Whate`er will be my decision,one thing I`d like to warn you:
Challenge not with my greater power,
- A power that`s dangerous to conquer-
When it appears friendly and tame,
For life is precious,treat it not as a game. (2)


1. This may refer to escaped racoon dogs.
2. Chinese Student Weekly Oct 29th 1954 693 ed.

No comments: