Half a century ago, Belgian Zoologist Bernard Heuvelmans first codified cryptozoology in his book On the Track of Unknown Animals.

The Centre for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) are still on the track, and have been since 1992. But as if chasing unknown animals wasn't enough, we are involved in education, conservation, and good old-fashioned natural history! We already have three journals, the largest cryptozoological publishing house in the world, CFZtv, and the largest cryptozoological conference in the English-speaking world, but in January 2009 someone suggested that we started a daily online magazine! The CFZ bloggo is a collaborative effort by a coalition of members, friends, and supporters of the CFZ, and covers all the subjects with which we deal, with a smattering of music, high strangeness and surreal humour to make up the mix.

It is edited by CFZ Director Jon Downes, and subbed by the lovely Lizzy Bitakara'mire (formerly Clancy), scourge of improper syntax. The daily newsblog is edited by Corinna Downes, head administratrix of the CFZ, and the indexing is done by Lee Canty and Kathy Imbriani. There is regular news from the CFZ Mystery Cat study group, and regular fortean bird news from 'The Watcher of the Skies'. Regular bloggers include Dr Karl Shuker, Dale Drinnon, Richard Muirhead and Richard Freeman.The CFZ bloggo is updated daily, and there's nothing quite like it anywhere else. Come and join us...

Search This Blog



Click on this logo to find out more about helping CFZtv and getting some smashing rewards...


Unlike some of our competitors we are not going to try and blackmail you into donating by saying that we won't continue if you don't. That would just be vulgar, but our lives, and those of the animals which we look after, would be a damn sight easier if we receive more donations to our fighting fund. Donate via Paypal today...

Thursday, May 07, 2009


The boy Freeman is a most peculiar fellow, and gets interested in the most peculiar things...

An 89 year old war veteran was being eaten alive by mice in a nursing home in south west Queensland. The rodents chewed through his ears and head as he feebly tried to brush them off. He was literally being eaten alive and almost died. The man' daughter complained to her MP Ray Hopper, who liken
ed the situation to something in the Third World. The man was bed-ridden and had limited communication ability so he could not tell anyone about the rodentine onslaught.

Queensland's Health Minister Paul Lucas has apologized to the victim and his family, and offered to relocate other residents of the facility.

It is surprising how rats and mice, in some conditions can behave like the rodents in James Herbert’s books. I recall, back in the 1980s, reading of an old woman who had suffered a stroke but was still alive and conscious. As she lay helpless rats gnawed the flesh from her shoulder blades.

Back in June 1881, in Philadelphia, Mrs. Theodore Fritz left a five week old infant with her two daughters aged 3 and 5 whilst she was out on an errand. Neighbors heard the child screaming but found he doors locked. Upon her return Mrs. Fritz saw a huge rat on the bed next to her child. It leapt off and escaped through a hole in the wall. He babies whole face was almost entirely eaten and one arm gnawed to the bone. There were bite marks all over it.

On December 13, 2006, in Kirkland, Washington, USA. A King County sheriff's deputy responded to a complaint about rats at a Kirkland-area home. She found his carcass being eaten by rats.On Monday, the deputy found a decomposed body, believed to be that of 67-year-old Thomas Harold Stone, on a bed in an upstairs bedroom. She wrote that body was being eaten by rats as she watched and one ran between her feet while she was there. Neighbors had repeatedly complained that rats were a problem at Stone's home and the Health Department had ordered him to clean up his rat-infested property. He was reclusive and told the neighbors rats were his friends. A
neighbour recently complained again to King County Councilwoman Jane Hague who called Sheriff Sue Rahr who sent the deputy to the home.
The deputy wrote that she could smell faeces from the curb and the house was covered in waste, filth and rats.

The Illustrated Police News reported a similar case in the 1870s.


A most appalling discovery was made last week in the town of Haverball. The circumstances of the case are both remarkable and horrible to the last degree. The facts are as follows:

For some months past a man named William Laslett, his wife, and a daughter (a girl about thirteen years of age) have occupied two rooms on the basement story of a house in Princess Street. Laslett, it appears, is a traveling hawker in the hardware line; he keeps a horse and cart, with which he travels from town to town, and has been accustomed to be absent from home six or eight weeks at a time. Occasionally, he would take with him his daughter on his traveling expeditions, but more frequently his wife accompanied him.

He left Princess Street with the latter seven weeks ago, Jane Laslett the daughter remaining behind. The young girl was seen by her neighbors for a few days after her parents had departed, when all of a sudden she was missed. The doors of both rooms in the occupation of the Laslett's were locked, and the natural inference was that Jane had left to join her parents, and she had been known to do so before on more than one occasion. Weeks passed over; the suspicions of the other occupants of the house that something was amiss became stronger every day.

An unpleasant and sickening odou
r crept up the staircase and found its way into the several apartments. On Monday last, a carpenter who occupied one of the upper rooms was prevailed upon to break open the door, which led to those on the basement, whereupon he was horror struck at the sight presented to him.

Upon the door being burst open, a legion of rats scampered in all directions. The greater portion of the body of the poor girl had been devoured by the rats. The medical gentlemen who have since made a post mortem examination, concur in the opinion that Jane Laslett died suddenly from disease of the heart of long standing - that her death had in all probability taken place some weeks back, since which time the rats had been feeding on the body.

The father and mother have not yet returned, nor do the neighbou
rs know where to communicate with them.

Well it seems like the old guy in Queensland had a narrow squeak!

No comments: